01243 817777 hello@talktotrinity.com
Info / News


Are you thinking of leaving the services? We’ve pulled together some practical information to help with your journey to civilian life.


Planning your transition into civilian life can be daunting. There are lots of things to think about when leaving the Armed Forces from where you are going to live, to your next career move. Within this section we have pulled together some information to supplement the processes and support you will be getting as you exit your military unit.

Your health and wellbeing

Looking after your health and well being is the most important thing and there is a separate section where you can find useful links and information if you need help and support. First thing on the list should be ensuring you are registered with a doctor’s surgery and NHS dentist in the area where you are living ensuring your GP is aware of your military background. You can find an NHS doctor here: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/GP/LocationSearch/5 and also find a dentist here: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-dentist.

Careers and employment

Following on from the resettlement process within your military service, your next point of call will the CTP. This is a service for anyone leaving the Armed Forces regardless of how long they have been serving. The CTP (career transition partnership) gives advice, training through workshops and support with your move to a new career. In our careers and employment section we have highlighted some useful tips and links for starting a business, writing a CV and getting ready for interviews. You can read more here.


The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) is the main point of contact for information on civilian housing options for serving military personnel and their families who are looking to move to civilian accommodation. This can be during a military career, not just when you are transitioning out of a service. There is also an MOD referral scheme if you are looking for social housing, this scheme works directly with local authorities so will have information on what properties there are available in your area. There are also home ownership schemes and there is lots of information available on gov.uk under their housing section.
You can find out more information on this and other topics in our Housing section: https://www.talktotrinity.com/info-hub/housing/


When the time has come from you to leave your service you will be able to get information about your final pay from your Unit HR administrator. For any other questions regarding income tax payments you can try your local revenue enquiry office. For anything relating to benefits visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs
For information on pensions you can find The Armed Forces Pension Scheme booklets online at GOV.UK and other pension information.
Find more information in our Financial Section: https://talktotrinity.com/financial-advice-for-military/

Getting help

For many the transition to civilian life goes smoothly but for some it can have some bumps in the road. No-one should struggle alone when faced with difficulties and there are many places that you can turn to for help such as:

  • Veterans Information Service (VIS)
  • Veterans Welfare Service
  • Defence Transition Services

Have a look at our charities section for more information on organisations that can support you if and when you need it regardless of when your military career ended.