We’ve teamed up with PJ Hayman, a specialist travel insurer for over 30 years, to offer you their Free Spirit holiday insurance for Veterans. This is specialist insurance giving everyone the opportunity to travel and not be held back by medical conditions, a disability or age. The insurance is designed to give you adequate protection and peace of mind leading up to and during your trip, including cover for trip cancellations. Free Spirit offers no upper age limit on Single and Annual Multi Trip policies and has cover for most existing medical conditions (with terminal illness cases also considered).
Who is this suitable for?
Travel insurance for veterans and and forces family and friends with medical conditions or a disability
What travel cover is available?
There are two cover levels available with the Free Spirit Policy - Super cover and Super Duper cover - providing different levels of cover and different excess amounts. You should refer to the policy wording for full details and ensure you have selected the right cover for your needs.
Does this policy include cover for Covid-19?
Free Spirit offers cover if an insured person has to cancel their trip due to testing positive for Coronavirus within 14 days of departure. Also, if someone contracts Coraonavirus abroad, cover is included for necessary emergency medical and repatriation expenses. Once you start the quote process you will see summary of cover in relation to Covid-19 and important statements to read.
Are holiday activities covered with Free Spirt?
Over 100 activities are included in your policy as standard. You can upgrade and include additional activity packs but these will incur additional cost. You can read all the activities covered as you go through the quote process or call to speak to an advisor to ensure your plans whilst away are covered.
- Coronavirus cover included for Cancellation and Emergency Expenses
- No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip
- Cover for most existing medical conditions
- Terminal cases considered
- Cancellation or Curtailment/Loss of holiday cover up to £5,000 (Super Duper cover) and £2,500 (Super cover)
- Travelling companions also covered
- Gadget Cover – theft, accidental damage, unauthorised call/data use of gadgets
- Cover for medical aids & medications
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Emergency Helpline
- Dedicated customer services team
- After care cover at home following hospitalisation abroad
- Convalescence benefit
What's not covered?
- Any claim from you failing to take medication as prescribed by your medical practitioner
- Any claim arising from you being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Any claim arising from you being involved in any criminal act
- Any claim arising from pre-existing medical conditions that weren’t declared
- Any claim related to circumstances that the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office are advising against all but essential travel to a country or region; or any claims where they are advising against ALL travel to that country or region
- Any claim for travel against medical advice
- The excess as stated in your chosen policy
- Any covid-19 related claims where you have not received the recommended number of doses of an approved coronavirus vaccine 14 days prior to your trip commencing, unless you were ineligible for vaccination, or unable to receive the vaccine for medical reasons, and this is shown in your medical records
Is there a policy excess amount in the event of a claim?
The excess payment amount will vary depending on your chosen level of cover and range from £50 to £95.
Who is eligible for this insurance?
Free Spirit insurance is available to residents of the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Isle of Man), the Channel Islands or for British Forces Posted Overseas (BFPO) who are registered with a medical practitioner in their home country. You must not have started your trip prior to commencement of your policy and the trip must start and end in the UK, Channel Islands, or BFPO. You must have been in the United Kingdom for a minimum of 6 months in the year before buying this policy.
What existing medical conditions do I need to declare?
To make sure you are covered you must include your relevant medical history. This includes:
-Any prescribed medication for any medical condition in the last two years
- Any surgery, inpatient or outpatient treatment, any tests or investigations in a hospital or clinic or any specialist consultation within the last 2 years.
-Any treatment in the last 5 years (including prescribed medication) for: – any respiratory condition (relating to the lungs or breathing), any heart or heart related condition, any circulatory condition (relating to the blood or circulation), any kidney or renal condition, any liver condition, any condition relating to the pancreas e.g. diabetes, any cerebral or neurological condition (relating to the brain), any type of cancer, any type of stroke, any central nervous system disorder, irritable bowel disease, any psychiatric or psychological conditions.)
I have a terminal illness can I still travel?
You won’t be able to purchase a policy online as the team will need to gather other information. You can speak to them on 02392 419 080 to discuss your situation.